Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Three #@&%ing languages?

The idea behind the host family program is not only in place to help Volunteers transition into a new society, but it allows the Volunteer to practice their language skills. Ive gone through both survival Wolof and Pulaar since Ive been in Senegal. With no surprise, theyre teaching me ANOTHER language, called Seereer. Out of the 42 of us Volunteers, only 2 of us are learning Seereer. My family speaks Wolof, French, English(kids), and Seereer. So its nice to sit down with them every night and talk in 9 different languages. IT gets difficult at times, though its also very rewarding. Every night I leqrn how to speak more and more Seereer and a bit of Wolof. I have to practice my Pulaar on the streets with the friendly strqngers who love white people. SENEGAL LOVES AMERICA. Since my family knows Seereer and thats the language ill be speaking for the next two years, they get to verbally beat the shit out of me for the next few months. Lucky them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home