Tuesday, November 22, 2005

"The Life"

Come this Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, Im officially done with training. I can now tell you how to say useful phrases in Seereer like, "this Coke is as warm as piss, go get me another one you evil woman." Can you believe I actally learned that phrase today? Though Im glad training is over. The only downfall is that for the next three months Im going to be living in my village. I wont really be doing anything in my village except for talking with people and getting myself established. I wont be working or travelling, and i wont be going to class. Instead, I have three months of downtime to just meet everyone and to learn my environment. Its going to be very boring!! This is important because I made a promise to stay in my village for the whole three months. I have the option to visit anyone in my region, and my region is huge. Though I'm excited to meet my new Senegalese family and friends. Ill be spending the next two years with them and I want them to respect me. So what Im trying to say is that I wont have internet connection for three months. You can still email me, though i wont get them for a while. Instead I urge you to call me or write letters. Once I get my new address in SOKONE, I will find a way to post it on my blog. Please send letters, it will give me something to do in the next few months, and years. Theres a lot of down time here and things get boring really fast. I still have a cell phone too, and I keep it on at all times. Well, if I dont here from anyone in three months than good luck and bon voyage.

"Dilooxaam mbind es na Amerik, ndaa cinj estass, Kaam nomtoox kaa mbind es ga' Basil es na Amerik. Bugaam nuun fop. Kaa i njeetaay kaa na ongool onge taduk. " -Pape Ngom

"I miss my home in America, but after my service, I will return to my home and family in America. I love you all. We will talk in three months." Paul Powers

3 Comments:

At 11/22/2005 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul,
Please try to post your address so that I can write to you! Thanksgiving break and our D-Crew reunions will not be the same without you. We talk about you all the time though! Hopefully I'll be able to call sometime soon. Happy Thanksgiving! Keep yourself safe.
Love, Anne

 
At 11/22/2005 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so ashamed that is the first time I've replied. Three months is a long time dude! Post your address, I will send mail! We will miss you Thursday. Love reading your updates. Can't wait for the three months to pass...you should have some great updates for us then. Take in every moment as it were your last. Miss you bunches! You favorite scousin-Jo!

 
At 12/03/2005 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's December 3rd and we're having our first big snow storm of the season. The roads are mess, but it's beautiful. Nothing like where you are. It will probably take a long time for you to get used to the seasons when you get back. I miss sitting on you porch drinking beer and making up songs and listening to you play the guitar. I hope your village appreciates you as much as we miss you. Love you, Anne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home